A bilingual Toastmasters Club
Forthcoming meetings of Hamburg International Speakers
We meet every first, third and fourth Wednesday and invite guests to join us at a meeting - of course it doesn't cost anything. And yes, we are back to in person meetings!
Also once a week we have a special workshop in person hosted by a member of our club where we get to learn special abilities related to public speaking.
The next meetings are:
- November 16: Regular Meeting (English, in person)
- November 23: Regular Meeting German, Hybrid)
- December 7: Workshop
- December 21: Regular Meeting (English, Hybrid)
- December 28: Regular Meeting German, in person)
- January 4: Workshop
- January 18: Regular Meeting (English, in person)
- January 25: Regular Meeting German, Hybrid)
- February 1: Workshop: Voice & Vocal Variety by Gabriela Cucu (English)
- February 15: Regular Meeting (English,Hybrid)
- February 22: Regular Meeting German, in person)
- March 1: Workshop: Advertising our club by Norman Lista (English)
- March 15: Regular Meeting (English, in person)
- March 22: Regular Meeting German, Hybrid)
- April 5: Workshop : Schreibwerkstatt:Ruth Heume, Philipp Meyerbroeker (Deutsch)
- April 19: Regular Meeting (English, Hybrid)
- April 26: Regular Meeting German, in person)
- May 3: Workshop
- May 7: Regular Meeting (English, in person)
- May 24: Regular Meeting German, Hybrid)
- June 7: Workshop
- June 21: Regular Meeting (English, Hybrid)
- June 28: Regular Meeting German, in person)
Since we start punctually at 7:00 p.m. we ask you to be there at least ten minutes earlier for preparation. We meet online in Zoom.
We give speeches in English and German.
Learning to Lead
We learn to moderate and lead teams.
Being Global Citizens
We welcome members and guests from all over the world.
The most important thing.
Who we are
We are a rhetoric club in which members can practice public speaking and hone their leadership skills in accordance with the proven principles of Toastmasters International.
What we are not
We are not an academic course in rhetoric. This means that we don’t have any omniscient teachers; rather, our people learn on their own—by doing, by example, and by means of constructive feedback from other members of the group. Consequently, it’s vital for each individual member and for every club guest that members show up—not merely to deliver their own speeches, but also to listen, to provide feedback, and to moderate the proceedings. These tasks are outlined quite specifically in the Toastmasters promise.[:]
How we speak
We are a bilingual club—hence we speak both German and English. However, we are not a language course for the purpose of language acquisition. Rather, we are a platform for applying and strengthening skills in both German and English. In this way, we also serve as a platform for intercultural exchange and learning.
What we believe
Toastmasters International, as a whole, and the Hamburg International Speakers do not discriminate against anyone. This means that neither your religious nor political worldview, nor your skin color, nor your sexual orientation is of any concern to us. What does interest us? Your history, your life experiences, your feedback to our speeches, and your personal growth. If your personal growth is of interest to you as well, then come visit the Hamburg International Speakers—we look forward to seeing you!
This you have missed, or - if you were lucky - witnessed yourself
(Scroll down for German) Wow, what a successful Toastmasters competition season 2020 we are having! For our Area A3, contestants for all six competitions are coming from Hamburg International Speakers![…]
Springtime is competition time at Toastmasters! This year, however, it was slightly different than in the previous years. As Toastmasters International disestablished the autumn competition, the spring competition included three[…]
October 21st, 2015 was “Back to the future day” – an important day for all fans of this famous movie: It commemorated the day to which Marty McFly, Dr. Emmett[…]
We are proud to announce that Ingmar is the winner of yesterday’s division contest in Hannover in the category “evaluation speeches/English”! Ingmar will represent our club in the district conference[…]
The German/ English/ French meeting last Wednesday proved it – this club is truly multilingual! After a meeting with Russian as a third language accompanying German and English as well[…]